As a truly old EE who did not get real involved with the RF side of the world
how would you check the resistance between the center conductor and shield of
the coax after it was connected to the antenna? If there is no choke or balun
of any type at the antenna end then it is probably possible. Any type of
inductive device, especially those in higher wattage, current, devices would
easily show conductivity I believe.  With a new system I would want to know my
cable/antenna SWR or SWRs at all the bands I would be using.  Any issue with a
choke would show up. I have a Rig Expert, Rig Stick that is super easy to use
and would be glad to do a quick check or load for you to do that. I also have a
NANO nva that is harder to use but work quite well.  I practice Covid protocol
so that complicates things a little but is manageable.

Chris Luppens - KG5BBF

> [...]
>> it into the radio SO-239 center ONLY.  Is the noise similar?   Then screw on
>> the PL-259 outside....does the noise change?   Usually, using only the
>> center pin causes lots of receive noise and then when you screw on the 259
>> outside the noise reduces as the antenna system is then a closed system.
>> You can also do this with a 10 foot long piece of wire and just connect the
>> wire to the inside center terminal of the SO-239 on the radio.  The receive
>> noise should increase when you touch the wire to the center pin......is this
>> noise the same as you are complaining about?
>>
>> Have you run power to the antenna?   What is the SWR?  Similar to the Nano
>> reading?  Use the internal SWR meter and meter switch to select RF PWR and
>> SWR set etc.
>>
>> That's about it for a 745 brain dump for tonight.    Something is amiss in
>> your set up, IMHO, no external wideband white noise source is jacking with
>> ya.  Sounds like receiver noise is at max gain and no received signals are
>> being processed.
>>
>> GL and 73...rick -- W5RH

>> On Sun, Jan 31, 2021 at 7:33 PM Mark Brantana via BVARC <bvarc@bvarc.org>
>> wrote:
>>> I am reaching out for ideas on a radio issue. I have installed an IC-745
>>> Icom with an MFJ-2010 offset fed dipole. The power supply is a 20A MegaWatt
>>> switching power supply, which is located right next to the radio. The
>>> antenna is under some high power-lines with the long leg 90 degrees to the
>>> power-lines. I used my nanoVNA to study the band SWR response, and
>>> everything looks reasonable, though some small adjustments may need to be
>>> made. Nothing is grounded as yet.
>>>
>>> Here’s my problem. I am only attempting to receive at this time and I get
>>> consistent QRM white noise across all bands to the point where I can barely
>>> pick out some voices, etc.
>>>
>>> I am confident that the antenna is properly connected due to my antenna
>>> study.
>>> I don’t believe the power lines are an issue, since the problem would
>>> likely be more isolated show up as birdies at certain frequencies.
>>> The radio settings seem to all be correct according to the manual.
>>> Lack of grounding, but again the white noise is generally consistant across
>>> the spectrum. Still, this could be the problem.
>>> I have turned off my computer, so there no QRM from its power supply.
>>> It does not help to have the switching power supply right next to the
>>> radio, but other users give good reports on this model and no QRM issues
>>> are mentioned.
>>> I tried the radio at different times of the day on 20-m voice band, with
>>> the same noisy result.
>>> It could be the net result of a large number of small device transformers,
>>> but I doubt it.
>>> I turned off the wifi, and still no change.
>>>
>>> Hmm… I am a little stumped. Any thoughts or ideas? Personal experiences?

>>> N5PRD