Jeff
If you haven't seen it, here's a very good implemation of combining steel
fencing polls and a fiberglass in a crank up configuration that would be
totally invisible if left in the down position during the day.  It's a very
clear explanation of his design.

JP. k5JPP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mynik3R4ySU