For a few years i drove a mitsubishi lancer as a second vehicle and even though
the windows were tinted (including visor strip above the A line on the
windshield… ok in Tennessee law), i wanted to run super incognito since i was
in the city with the nations highest crime rate.
So i picked up the icom ic-208H dual band and took a piece of sheet metal,
painted it black, and cut it the width of the head and bent it at an angle such
that I could slip it in above the headliner and use some of that super
industrial velcro. Its a single vfo so its maybe 3-4” wide. Tucked the wire
around from the headliner and down the frame along the windshield and under the
dash back to the radio under the seat. The mic lived under the seat too. It
worked out fabulous. Id just flip the sun visor down when i parked and it was
completely hidden. And if I wanted to use it, it was only an eyeball glance up.
Technically I could have slid it over to the space between the headliner and
the rear view mirror, but then i couldnt hide it with the visor and these days
cars have so much tech in the mirror you probably couldnt get into the
headliner up there.
So thats a long story but maybe that gives you an idea. And i read the law
someone posted in the thread below and it says you cant put something on the
windshield that obstructs view.  There are a lot of places on the windshield
that don’t obstruct view.

Good luck!
73/AC5CM/Chris

Typos brought to you by iPhone