-- Mark Crispin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> is rumored to have mumbled on Mittwoch, 7. April 2004 9:23 Uhr -0700 regarding Re: IDLE support problem:

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004, Ere Maijala wrote:
Sorry, it was my fault. I tried with unmodified imapd 2004 RC7, but
still had  the problem. Turned out I wasn't reading the network capture
carefully. The  connection was dropped correctly, but my mail client
reconnected immediately  and selected INBOX again. This would cause
problems for the other process  trying to get the lock, right?

Indeed it would. If the other process got the lock, it would be stolen away from it right away. Or, if the other process hadn't yet gotten it yet (an unlikely timing race) before the reconnection seized it, it wouldn't know about the reconnection.

Either way, it loses.

Sounds like a very unfriendly client.

That depends on your point of view ... Mulberry behaves that way, because it assumes that a dial-up connection was interrupted or some stupid NAT box timed out. Too many users complained that they had to manually reconnect under those circumstances.

IMO, the real solution to the problem is to switch to mbx mailbox format, because it can handle concurrent sessions.
--
Sebastian Hagedorn
Ehrenfeldgürtel 156, 50823 Köln, Germany

"Being just contaminates the void" - Robyn Hitchcock