I think to make the assumption that because no one either feels confident enough to answer the question of whether or not cleanArray or the CakePHP framework in generally protects against XSS attacks, no one understands the vulnerabilities is fairly shallow.

I think given the variety and varying levels of sophistication of XSS attacks (as well as other attacks on a site in this day and age) to assume that one verb or a framework can protect you from them is 'crazy'.  Only you can know how your application is vulnerable and what can be done with it.

Can cleanArray help? yes. Can it foil all efforts? don't be silly.  Does the framework reduce a sites vulnerablity? yes.  Is it perfect? no.

That is why there is the SecurityComponent, the cleanArray, and other functions.  It is a battle we all must wage and continue to learn and share methods and practices to solve.  cleanArray would only address a small fraction of the possible ways to 'break' into your app.

Humbly
   Sam D