I forgot to add, in reference to my earlier post with code, how cool
the search input format is with MySQL's fulltext search... with or
without indexes, except that without indexes it allows you to enter
search terms shorter than four characters:

car
finds all entries with the full word "car" (but won't find "carport" or
"scar")

car*
finds all entries with a word beginning with "car" (or "carport" but
not "scar")

+car +boy
finds all entries with both "car" and "boy" (say, "the boy had a car")

+car -boy
finds all entries with "car" and without "boy"

+car* -boy
finds all entries with "car" or "carport" but without "boy"

+car* -boy*
finds all entries with "car" or "carport" but without "boy" or "boyd"

car* boy*
gives you an implicit "or" and thus finds all entries with "car" or
"carport" or "boy" or "boyd"

Combine the above input formats with the possibility of searching
across several fields, as in my example, and you have a powerful,
google-like capability.

Unfortunately, this method is not directly portable to other database
engines, though there may be similar equivalents elsewhere -- and one
could at some future time write code to parse the query and submit it
in the format required by other engines.

But for a quick start it's pretty impressive. I never imagined I could
get that far, that fast with fairly simple search code.