I have a unique situtation where I am using javascript to write cookies
and I am evaluating these cookies to make determinations about the
session and whether to output the javascript or not.

I'm loathe to split this logical block of code just so I can put my
session management in the controller instead of having a single call in
the view.

I guess I'll just have to use $_SESSION[]