On 9/27/06, Chris Hartjes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Placing data validation and other data
> munging in the model seems to be the way of this definition.  Food for
> thought, that's for sure.

I second that. Data validation rules (or business logic/business
rules) should be enforced on your data at all times - that's their
nature. If you implement business logic in controllers, you run the
risk of duplicating yourself when you use the same model in another
controller.

Even worse, if you happen to forget the rules in the other controller,
or implement them slightly differently, your database may become
(functionally) corrupt.

Therefore, I would suggest to everybody to implement business logic as
close to the persistency layer as possible (*). For CakePHP, this
means the model.

Martin

(*) no offense, I know this might trigger a lot of opinions about
n-tier application architecture ...

--
  Martin Schapendonk, [EMAIL PROTECTED]