Absolutely. But when does Cake ever create an Animal alone? Doesn't it
always create a Dog, which is an animal?
Or in Cake terms: When do we ever have just an App?  Won't it always be
a user? Does Cake ever create an AppController by itself? Isn't it
instead creating a UserController which extends AppController?
When I'm in the AppController::beforeFilter(), having accessed the
function via /users/add, isn't the object really a User, rather than an
App, thereby giving me access to the variables in the UserController?