The only time an app controller instance is ever created is when you
have an error ;).

But is that really relavent, from yoru first message:
you have code in your app controller referring to accessExceptions
The error message doesn't refer to your users controller
your pages controller (the on in the error message) doesn't have this
variable

If you want to follow that logic define an empty accessExceptions var
in your app controller and override it in each controller as
appropriate. However as I'm here, I would use the cake db-acl system
and make use of the demo related to this blog:
http://www.noswad.me.uk/MiBlog/ACLPart2

hth,

AD7six