Thanks for your reply, Mark. I'd just chime in by agreeing that it is hard
to build an ORM...but since this wheel has already been invented..and
reinvented, it's hard to justify why a new ORM would need to be built for
Cake. There are already several mature PHP-based ORM systems (Doctrine and
Propel leading the pack) that are ripe for straightforward integration into
larger systems.

So, rather than a backwards-compatibility-killing overhaul of Cake's model
system, perhaps a better approach would be to start by offering Cake
developers a choice by allowing the data access layer to be toggled between
returning the traditional arrays and returning objects via an existing ORM
that has been plugged in. Maybe this toggle could even be set application-
or controller-wide via the configuration system, or at run time for more
granular control. Doctrine offers this toggle out of the box, for example.

This way, developers have a choice to migrate all, some, or none of an
existing application to an object oriented model system. Maybe there's
something about Cake's design that would make even this kind of architecture
unfeasibly difficult, but based on my (admittedly rusty) understanding of
Cake's internals, it shouldn't be too bad. Core system components could
transparently continue to use the array access method as long as they needed
to, and userland code could break free of arrays if it wanted to.

Having been away for a few years, I'm actually a bit amazed (and
disappointed) that the 2.0 release isn't being used as an opportunity to
bring Cake more fully into the world of OOP. I'm not one to complain about
open source software though...I have much to be thankful for.

-SS