There isn't anything stopping you from using Doctrine or Propel now if
you feel not having them is a huge loss.  Other parts of cake loose
some of the integrated features, but it can be made to work.  The loss
of integration is another reason that we haven't moved to another ORM,
we'd either have to couple with that ORM which is simliar to where we
are now. Or loose many of the features in cake that people like.
Things like var $uses = array(...); don't work without layers of
adapters and configuration when the models could come from a variety
of providers.  Perhaps integrating with Doctrine, PHPActiveRecord or
Propel would be the best option in the future.  I'm not sure, I
haven't done the research and haven't evaluated the options versus
rolling an update to cake's models.

As for things not changing in 2.0, we decided that revamping parts of
the framework that needed php4 support removed, and switching the
models all at once would probably create a huge time gap between
releases and was something we want to avoid.

Sorry that we couldn't better live up to your expectations.

-Mark