Perry,

I don't know if I fully understand your reply, but it sounds like you might
be onto something.

I have already set the session name in both SimpleSAMLphp and CakePHP to be
the same, and in my custom code in SimpleSAMLphp, I am already pulling the
user record from the database with PDO:MySQL and putting the array in the
'Auth.User' attribute within the session.

So you're saying I wouldn't even need to create a custom authentication
module for AuthComponent to make it work properly in this scenario?

ReturnURL is a setting you can provide to SimpleSAML_Auth_Simple::login()
which defines where you will be redirected back to after the login
completes. Normally that return URL would be the page the user was trying to
view in the first place, but it seems like I need to have some step
in-between there to let AuthComponent know that an authentication has just
occurred.

Or does AuthComponent not care if an authentication has occurred as long as
there is a valid user record in the session under Auth.User?

I'm slightly confused, but it sounds like maybe it's easier than I'm making
it out to be.

Thanks a lot for the response!

Ben