After re-reading, I think I understand a little bit better:

So my login method on the site should redirect to SimpleSAML for
authentication, specifying whatever page the user was trying to access that
required authentication ($this->referer() I suppose) as the ReturnURL, then
in my AppController's beforeFilter I set AuthComponent's loginAction to
false which should skip directly to checking the user record in the session
for authorization to the current page?

Correct me if that's not what you meant, however. Thanks!

Ben