When you say the captcha is displayed on its own, do you mean when you
click the link the entire page is replaced with just the captcha? If this
is the case, then it sounds like the ajax is not firing. If it is firing
(check with firebug), then the script will only replace anything in the
#captchaID div. FYI if you do it this way anyone with JS turned off will be
directed to the link (/users/reload_captcha) and will just see the captcha
and not the whole form.

So, check to make sure the ajax is firing using Firebug and see what the
response is. If it is firing, then I'm not sure what to tell you - the
script clearly states that it will just replace your #captchaID div with
the contents from /users/reload_captcha