Hi Brandon

This sounds along the lines of what I was planning to do. Except that I
didn't want to modify the core code, since I'd have to do the same on every
version update.

Agreed. My solution does not modify Cake core code in any way, I just used various function in the ACL code in a different way to achieve the desired result.

So I decided just to make my own implementation, that heavily borrow's from
cake's (not in code, just in concept).

Sounds useful, though.

I considered doing this too, but was put off by the thought of having to access control systems to maintain. I would be interested to hear your thoughts on what I post.

Regards,
Langdon