Hi All,

On Jan 4, 10:07 am, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
other parts of each layout can contain different
static content, elements (echo $this->renderElement('my_element') ) ,
request actions (echo $this->requestAction(params) ) or plain old php.

Not strictly accurate ;) So just for clarification:

Any var that is available in your view, is available in your layout.
The concequence of which is that you can serve dynamic content in your
layout/elements. e.g. if in your app controller (or in each individual
controller if you really wanted) beforeRender method you do
$this->set('stuff', $stuff); in your my_element you could do for_each
($stuff as $data) { etc }.

So with regards to the original question, and taking into account the
subsequent rather vast increase in scope of the questions, I would
guess the answer is element using a var.

dani wrt your later questions, I would advise doing the blog tutorial
in the manual, looking at the relavent chapeters of the manual, and/or
Googling MVC and revisiting the questions after that.

HTH,

AD7six
Please note:
The manual/bakery is a good place to start any quest for info.
The cake search (at the time of writing) erroneously reports less/no
results for the google group.
The wiki may contain incorrect info - read at your own risk (it's
mainly user submitted) :) You may get your answer quicker by asking on
the IRC Channel (you can access it with just a browser
here:http://irc.cakephp.org).