> Can I replace the mechanism from the Model that directly interacts
> with the database with specific API functions already in place in our
> existing application.

You can create models that don't do database stuff, that's for sure.
I'm not sure about redefining existing methods etc.  I think it's
doable, but you may have to tweak things at your end to be able to
reference the model data the same way Cake lets you do with data
obtained from a database.

--
Chris Hartjes

My motto for 2007:  "Just build it, damnit!"

rallyhat.com - digitial photo scavenger hunt
@TheBallpark - http://www.littlehart.net/attheballpark
@TheKeyboard - http://www.littlehart.net/atthekeyboard