Ok, now I'm a bit further along... I've added the code to my Cake
project, but I'm confused as to which parts I need to change to stop
it conflicting with the 1.2 validation class. I was almost tempted to
simply delete the standard Validation class and overwrite it with this
one, but that would cause other problems down the road, I'm sure.

Can you advise me on which bits I need to rename/change/delete to make
this work correctly?

Thanks! :)