Yea, unfortunatly I got that today as well (a piss off)

I managed to get it implemented, but still hit a few snags:

Defining $this->Auth->fields = array('password' = 'passwd'); doesn't
seem to work.

Just for testing, I changed the var directly in the component and it
worked, but it seems at the moment $this->Auth->login() only supports
plain text password.  I'm going to assume that support for which has
to use (I.e md5, sha1,etc) will come later.

Also, another problem for me seems to be all the auth components out
there seem to be the username/password route - but I'm implementing
cakebakers OpenID component in my site, and authorisation takes place
off-site through the OpenID provider, who then passes back a message
to say "this user is valid".  Although I create a user record for
this, the user has no need for a password on my site.

If anyone has any ideas on how to implement this, that would be great!

Tane