Speaking of best-of-breed components: I recently saw a propel
presentation, which is the ORM component of symphony. There were a few
nice things, but the xml generation was a no-go. But I realized
something I had with Python before. Python says there is one way to do
it, but before Django there were lots of web frameworks. And it was
really hard to compare and decide on one. With CakePHP, Symphony,
CodeIgniter and many more frameworks decision is not easy for any
newcomer. I'm glad to use CakePHP for many reasons, but I also spoke
to people who are very happy with Symphony and their reasons and
arguments where good. Maybe joined forces on the one true PHP ORM
wouldn't be that bad.

Sometimes I wish the PHP landscape would have something more like
CPAN. Everybody says that the PEAR quality is bad and that he doesn't
like the PEAR guys or whatever. Why not getting all those people
together and build an overall good PHP infrastructure.

btw: There will be a PHP implementation of JSR 283 Content Repository
with Typo3 5.0
http://typo3.org/fileadmin/teams/5.0-development/t3dd07-karsten-jcr.pdf

cheers,
timo