yes you can do this ;

create an additional action : "backgroundscript" that call your exec
("/usr/bin/php yourscript.php" >/dev/null &");

in your main real action use curl to call your "backgroundscript"
action with the appropriates options : curl_setopt($ch,CURLOPT_TIMEOUT,
1) curl_setopt($ch,CURLOPT_NOBODY,true)
curl_setopt($ch,CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER,true) ...

this will wait just 1 second.

All this isn't pretty at all but it works fine