I was trying to do something earlier with plugins in 1.1 and
everything seemed to work fine until the larger application wanted to
access the plugin, then things went downhill.
I made a plugin that controlled all the authentication, registering,
logging in and out of users.  The idea for this was that, why do I
have to copy the same models, views and controllers between every app
when I can just drop it in the plugin dir and have app_controller load
it?

To me, that's my idea of a plugin but, I wanted the app to be able to
access some of the data or functionality and was told that it wouldn't
work like that. I could have used an rA() call but, at that time, the
slow down for me was unbearable. Dunno if it was ever fixed but, just
as a warning.  Look carefully at your plugin, what it does, how it
interacts with the larger app.  For now, if your plugin requires
anything from your app or you app wants to hook into your plugin, then
it may be wise to forgo the plugin altogether. (At least until plugins
work the way I envision them! =D).