Is it a big deal to not have them in the database? Maybe if I
understood the context a bit better then I might be able to suggest
something more appropriate.

In my forms when I have datetime fields, I separate them off into two
fields - date as d/m/y and time as any string strtotime() handles.

Then in my AppController I have overrided the cleanUpFields() and put
my own date logic in there, which converts my custom form elements to
a date string cakephp can handle. It is however tied in automatically
with the model definition like cakephp core is. It also sets the date
value to null if the field is blank.

If you're not saving the data into a model, then maybe you can just
write a function that takes in the field name and returns the combined
date value, and put that in your appcontroller or something like that.

Cheers,
Adam