With AD's technique (which looks kinda cool), you would still need to
write a custom method to handle the data conversion from your date
input to an sql datetime.

All depends on your form I guess. Since I'm in Australia, I want to
convert my form fields from

dd/mm/yyyy (aus format) to yyyy-mm-dd (sql format)

and my time from "4:15pm" to 16:15:00

So I have a function to convert the date format - a simple regex:

function convertToSQLDate($date){
        $date = preg_replace('/^(\d{1,2})\/(\d{1,2})\/(\d{2,4})$/','$3-$2-
$1', $date);
        $date = date('Y-m-d',strtotime($date));
        return $date;
}

And then I create a new string with the sql date I converted above,
append the time string and send to strtotime...

// so equivalent to doing something like this
echo date('Y-m-d H:i:s',strtotime('2007-12-05 4pm'));

And voila... your new sql date string is ready :)

Sorry if that's a bit confusing, it's almost 1am here.

Cheers,
Adam