>From my experience businesses fall into this category for a few reasons:

They just came into management and have been doing the same thing for so
long and have already built a rather large application and it would just
take too much time and effort to redo things. This is understandable...You
can't really argue with that. It's sometimes hard for a developer to
distance himself from what would eventually be so simple and efficient and
concentrate on the money. No matter how easy it may be to redesign a system,
it's going to take time; time the company would most likely spend on making
money.

>From your description, that doesn't seem to be the case. Now I have no idea
what your company does, but "Quick and Dirty" scares me. If they already
have a system (no matter how disfunctional), then it may be hard to get them
to switch. If they don't have a system, then they do suffer from a bit of
close mindedness. If

The other problem with CakePHP is that no large scale company is going to
let their business run of something with "Beta" in the title (I'm assuming
you were going to propose 1.2 beta, right?). If it's just two developers,
then you don't have many people to convince. Any developer can see the
beauty of a framework. You guys could put together a small presentation and
take this to management and see what flies.

If all else fails and you really really want them to take up CakePHP, here's
what you do:

   1. You said that one developer already knows CakePHP. Good. In your
   off time, tutor the other guy. It's really not as hard as it sounds. The
   time it takes 2 people to learn cake is not 2 * (time for one person). You
   already know what all the shortcuts are. You know what to focus on, you can
   just tell them.
   2. Now I'm assuming that you dont' have a system. If you don't, then
   start doing projects in CakePHP to get a feel for it.
   3. When you feel that both of your developers are capable, you start
   cranking out projects faster than they can dream them up....then you walk
   into the office and say:
   "I bet you've noticed the increased productivity. This is how we
   achieved this. Now we can go back to old way, or keep doing what we're
   doing. It's up to you"

:) Yes this technique is underhanded, but it works. But keep in mind, this
is not something that you would want to do if they already have a system.
This is how I implemented the switch to jQuery at my company: I showed my
manager how I could condense 80 lines of code down to 15 AND do cool Ajax
stuff :D.

If anyone out there has convinced an enter company/department to switch over
to CakePHP I'd love to hear about it.
--
Kevin Lloyd
3HN Designs