I'm new to Cake so I can't defend it at the moment (although in the
near future I probably will).  But your
company sounds like the suck.  Royally.

In closing, OOP is definitely not just a buzzword -- it's a way of
life for most programmers.  It's a standard way to
develop applications and more importantly -- maintain that application
for years to come in a cost-effective, efficient way.