I'm using rev. 5693. Didn't want to upgrade whenever a newer revision
appeared in the branch, and when the pre-beta was released we were
close to finishing the project - I didn't want to take the risk of
missing deadlines by fixing backward inconsistencies, etc.

Your example produced identical errors as the action in my controller.
So I guess it's related to my archaic revision of Cake. I guess I'd
still need to upgrade.

What revision would you recommend me to use - the current beta (rev.
6311) or what's currently in the trunk (branches and trunk both have
rev. 6455 currently)?

Thank you!