Well, the book does harness collective intelligence and collaboration,
but I personally think wikis do that best. In summary, I like the
flexibility of interlinking (I think that's what it's called), of
evolving large pages into smaller chunks, of categorizing pages, of
discussion areas attached to each page.

I think an online book serves somewhat a different purpose and has a
different structure than a wiki. A wiki's table of contents, for one,
are going to be more topical than progressive like a book's ToC. I
personally find book.cakephp.org's table of contents disorienting.
Maybe I'm just dense.

I probably don't have a solid philosophical presentation for my
preference of a wiki. It's really just that, a preference.