On May 6, 2008, at 8:36 AM, Marcin Domanski wrote:

>>> Hey
>>> Can you elaborate why is that ?
>>> Why not use GPL ? GFDL ? Creative Commons ?
>>> For me it's wierd that a community contributed documentation
>>> cannot be
>>> used by the community without an approval.
>>
>> Mostly because we don't want 17 different copies of the content out
>> on
>> the web in different forms.
> Why don't you want that ? wikipedia is freely available and i don't
> see the problem where articles are available on other sites as long as
> people know its from wikipedia.

There's also *one* wikipedia. How many side wikipedia efforts are
flourishing?

> People know that the official docs are
> at cakephp.org.

I disagree. Besides, even if your assertion was true, what's the point
in creating parallel efforts? If everyone knows where to get it from
the source, why would they visit other efforts? We've battled this
problem before, especially with CakePHP sites in other languages.
People *don't* know, especially when they're introduced to us through
a non-official channel.

>> but the content in the manual is meant to be reviewed and contributed
>> to in an official setting.
> Yes but that doesn't really mean that the content couldn't be under
> GPL or whatever.

I think it does. What's the point of having a license like that when
we only want the content coming from one place?

>> What did you want to use it for?
> i didnt want to use it, but lets say - an in-house company cake
> course.

Feel free to reference or quote from it inside your course materials,
just like you would any other material.

> My point is:
> "It's weird that a community contributed documentation cannot be used
> by the community without an approval."
> I'm love you guys and i'm ok with the cookbook, i just think its not
> fair that community contributed docs aren't under an open license
> http://www.free-culture.cc/

I think the need to eliminate confusion is greater than the need for
open content. I still haven't even heard of a decent use case for
wanting to re-publish it. And if we did, I'd imagine we'd "grant
permission."

-- John