Personally, I think it's best to pick standards up-front to abide by
for anything your code taps into and then commit yourself to
conforming to those documented standards...If you're using PHP, make
sure you pass E_STRICT tests and that's where it ends.  If you're
using html, pick a strict doctype and commit to making sure you always
pass validation for that specification.  Same for RSS, XML, etc.

What I like about this approach is that you can say right up front,
here are the standards we're conforming to for all the technologies we
use.  The goal is then not to meet the requirements of browsers,
readers, clients, etc., but to meet the requirements of those
standards.  I think it makes it an attainable goal, makes it clear for
developers using the framework to know what they're dealing with and
gives an easy, clear answer to all the "what about x browser's bug,
what about php scenario x with library y, what about reader a and
client b, why don't you write code like abc, blah, blah"