I just start learning Cake since last month, I also find some
frustration along the way. Things such as requestAction(),
beforeFilter() really irritate me as they don't really correspond to
the little amount of OOP I have learned.
Lately I compared Cake's Auth and DarkAuth and they actually use
different method to do hooks, one is using the de facto beforeFilter()
while another implements a call to the calling controller's _login()
method.
And the requestAction() method.. it is IMHO a implementation of global
function. It just do all the dirty work to get the controller class
and call the specific action/method and then return the value.

But I guess most of the frustrations comes from the fact that I am on
branches/1.2.x.x ;-)