How can this be the preferred behaviour?

What do you do if you get a 'bad' user? Even if you delete his user
record you are helpless to stop him until he voluntarily logs out!

Or, what if you have a regular user who needs his 'role' changing?

Granted, profile edits and changes in roles are required less often,
but the security issue alone is enough to warant a refresh on every
page. A quick read of the database is hardly going to kill the system.