I have followed all except the last line of that link which is

# If you are installing CakePHP into a user directory (http://
example.com/~username), you'll need to modify the .htaccess file in
the base directory of your CakePHP installation. Just add the line
"RewriteBase /~myusername/"

in uniform server the structure is

C:\Uniform Server\udrive\www\fb00\ [here i have app, cake,vendors etc
and the htaccess file ]

so eith that structure localhost points to the www root folder where I
have multiple sites.
So i added as per the instruction above and get the htaccess file in
the application root to be

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
   RewriteEngine on
   RewriteRule    ^$ app/webroot/    [L]
   RewriteRule    (.*) app/webroot/$1 [L]
   RewriteBase /~fb00/
</IfModule>

so is that right, I dont know what else is wrong, I have mod rewrite
working for other things ok.
here is my server log error

[error] [client 127.0.0.1] Options FollowSymLinks or
SymLinksIfOwnerMatch is off which implies that RewriteRule directive
is forbidden: W:/www/fb00/, referer: http://localhost/

thanks for any help this is my second night of frustration with
nothing working.