The customer is not always right.  Lets say you are a roofer and the
customer tells you to use that you cannot use an air-nailer as they
are not as proven and effective as a hand hammer.  Would you simply
accept that they 'are right' and do the job?  There are a time when
the customer is not knowledgable about the subject, and has no
business making decisions.  I used to do irrigation installation, and
customers thought they were 'right'.  They never were, and we rarely
did what they suggested, as often their suggestions would have
affected the performance of the system.  Other times we did follow
their suggestions and informed them of the possible impact and
additional costs to repair it once it failed.

Enough of the aside, thomas perhaps you should give 3 quotes, one with
all custom code, one with the app built on 1.1 and the other with it
built on 1.2.

-Mark