I think we've moved off topic since the question wasn't about helpers,
though I agree 100% with Anupom.
It seems that the majority prefer jQuery but it's just that, a
preference.

I also agree with Flipflops. You should visit the official site of
both libraries and do a bit of research and testing for yourself.
Prototype has more widgets or plugins built by 3rd parties but jQuery
seems to be one of the fastest growing and many, including myself,
consider it the easiest to use with the smallest learning curve.