As lots of people have said you miss out on the helpers with jQuery,
but if you don't like Prototype then its no great loss - but anyway
what I've stared doing is writing a my own bake templates (ad7six
wrote a really handy introduction
http://www.ad7six.com/MiBlog/CustomBakeTemplates)
which i have edited to include all the hooks (mostly css class names)
and my jQuery scripts just work off those.

Lets face it bake is pretty good, but you can still spend an age
editing it all, especially the index views so you might as well get it
set up how you like to begin with. Honestly I wish I'd bothered to do
this a year ago.