I don't see that as an option. One thing that has to be done well,
right from the outset, is the planning. A lot of work is currently
being done in that area. I agree with the comments made by James K. on
that - if Mambo is not planned well we will limit ourselves too much.

The current development of Mambo is hitting far too many limits in
what can be done. The architecture is old and cannot adapt to the
needs of a modern (or future) CMS market (its still a market even
though its a free product ;))  What we build with cakePHP has to be
extensible and will be providing the basis for development for years
to come.

So, taking the ideas/architecture of an existing project would mean we
would be having to factor in the ability of that code to adapt to
Mambo's needs. It would be far better to start from scratch.

Lynne