We have already felt the pain Nate ;)
Mambo has a core + core extensions. With the release of Mambo 4.6 a
couple of years ago we began releasing two versions, which were called
"Mambo" (or, in the earlier days, "Mambo Complete") and "Mambo Lite".
Mambo Lite is the core with no core extensions. All core extensions
were refactored to become optional installs.

This was done with two outcomes in mind - firstly, that when Mambo
went PHP5 only, the extensions would be available as a one-click
install from the backend, and secondly, so that anyone could take up
the core extensions and use these as a basis for further development
of the functionality.

So, with the next significant release of Mambo being PHP5.2+ only, and
MySQL4.1+, the only distro will be effectively Mambo Lite.

This makes it pretty easy for us all to get our heads around making
Mambo even more modular as we bake it ;)

Lynne