Cake has a lot of things going for it, and I mean A LOT that the other
PHP frameworks don't have.  However, I disagree that performance
doesn't matter much.  A lot of us (especially in this economy) are
downsizing our servers which is one of the main reason to even look at
a PHP frameworks over something like Rails.  Setting up a Mongrel
cloud and the CPU/Memory to back it up on a host can be an expensive
proposition whereas PHP interacts with Apache directly and PHP in
general is widely supported among all hosting companies.  Coming from
a Ruby on Rails background, this was my main draw to developing in the
CakePHP framework; speed and savings due to decreased need for
hardware plus added benefits of not having to re-learn techniques I've
learned from years of ROR developing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very impressed with the speed of CakePHP and
the framework itself, but it is a little scary to see the performance
nearly cut in half going from 1.1 to 1.2 in each of those performance
tests.  I hope this will not be a trend with every release.