My two cents:

If your primary goal is to have a FAST webpage serving images and
multimedia content, you build static HTML with maybe some PHP using
lighttpd.

If you are building a social network/heavy interaction app (think
friendfeed/facebook) you either build the framework yourself or spend
equally lots of time tweaking a framweork like cake or zend. Or do it
like google, where the google.com frontend/search dispatchers are in
low-level C++.

I think Cake is a fast, stable and mature framework compared to a lot
of the other offerings. However, the main reason for most people for
chosing cake is fast coding and deployment. Many of the cake apps are
business applications where modeling of business logic, forms and
views is important, and thus the speed of doing this is much more
important than the 0.2 or 0.6 processing time of the finished app.
(This is guessing, but I belive many cake apps are internal business
apps of which few are shown to the public or on the "who's using cake"
page on cakephp.org).

For most people making such apps the speed of the dispatcher, template
engine etc is unimportant. The parts slowing the app would be heavy
SQL, SOAP/XML-RPC-request to other apps or huge batch ETLs.  For most
people (including most public websites) the most important thing would
be faster SQL/active records and a better implementation of HABTM
joins, not the ability to serve x or y pages per sec.

//mathias