I have to add one point to the lack of advanced documentation ... it
is getting better but it's not quite there yet ... API docs are
relatively good, but I think they lack some examples of for example
how to use parameters in function calls. I have not found it feasible
to go through core cake code to determine what a specific function
does with a given parameter ... maybe some people like that ;)

I also agree that cake does not have to solve all our issues, we are
better of writing those ourselves ... however, I have often searched
the Bakery for code I could reuse and have found out that many pieces
of code are either really old or there is no good documentation for
them available and therefore have not find anything highly usable from
them ... any ideas how this (code reusability) could be improved?
Maybe some kind of "official" Cake plugin and code snippet repository,
which requires authors to test components against new core versions
etc and update and develop plugin/behaviour/components code.

-J