I have been developing in folders like "project_name" for years and I
like it. I only need to keep and manage one Cake installation and it
keeps my clutter of files to a minimum :)

The way I host that locally is with one virtual host for each project.
I point the Apache root folder for each one to the equivalent of app/
webroot. That way I host locally in exactly the same way as a
production installation.  also set fake domain names in my computer's /
etc/hosts file. I prefer project_name.site as no real site would be
called that.

I think you can get away with dumping it all into the same vhost the
way you did now. If you create a few apps in named folders they should
(hopefully) run if you access them using http://localhost/project_name/.
Not sure though.