I am not sure that is a cache problem or anything you can fix. Are you
sure

I use Safari 4 all the time and I am under the impression that the
browser sometimes doesn't do any request at all when using the back
button. It simply re-displays what it a few moments ago. I have not
checked if the browser technically does a request or not. It is just a
feeling I get.

/Martin