Sorry, but this is a cake solution! Cake offers the custom rules :)

Anyway, it may seem that I misunderstood the OP issue! The OP has a
multiple choice (f.ex. checkboxes) and wish to be sure that at least
one is specified!
I thought it was that at least one associated record must be specified/
chosen in a HABTM association.

Enjoy,
   John