I think you are reading two posts as one.

I only mentioned using plugins for all visible features except a very
few... nothing about paths.

And to clarify about the app I refer to:
The app is made up of many plugins.. not one common plugin.
There is a lot of common functionality in the main app... just not
exposed as visible features.
The app is plugin-based to enable quick development of new features
and variations of similar features without changing the central
application.
The main menu simply lists activated plugins + user management and
reporting. Each client may have an infinite variation of plugins
activated based on their contract and needs.
The central app does a ton of model stuff and other validation and
also a fair bit of component things that plugins can make use of.

It is all really very straight-forward... but a bit complicated to
explain. I tried on my website and the bakery a while back:
http://www.eimermusic.com/articles/designing-a-modular-application-using-cakephp-plugins/
http://bakery.cakephp.org/articles/view/designing-a-modular-application-using-cakephp-plugins