Hi Thanks for your response AD7six

When you say its not an error, do you mean cake is meant to do this,
as part of looking for files in a set order till finds a default?

I didn't have a locale set (i hadn't really thought to as im not
trying to be international) so i put
Configure::write('Config.language', 'eng'); into my boot strap.  Guess
i need to do this for all my cake projects.

I ran the console i18n thing, and it developed various po files and i
have put them into my eng dir.

Its now looking for core.po and core.mo and can't find them  - Should
i be making those? If so, how do i make the core.po and core.mo
files?

What could be wrong with cache set up? Ive just uncommented the file
cache set up & set disable cache to false in core.php and that seems
to be generating lots of cache files as expected. Is it more
complicated than this? I don't think it is right?

This all seems like a lot of set up for a feature im not using. Which
makes me think its either a non issue or im doing something
fundamentally wrong.