From: cake-php@googlegroups.com [mailto:cake-php@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of euromark
Sent: Friday, February 25, 2011 1:29 PM
To: CakePHP
Subject: Re: Search function

@Krissy Masters
instead of 25 single queries you could probably use a "group by"
statement and a single query :)
but nice idea, though

On 25 Feb., 15:43, MeatSandwich <i...@babyclothingcentral.co.uk>
wrote:
> Hey acl68, thanks for that, definitely does point me in the right
> direction. I need to go off and brush up a bit on my javascript but
> hopefully what you've given me will do the job.
>
> thanks
>
> On Feb 25, 1:58 pm, acl68 <c...@anjaliebermann.de> wrote:
>

> > Hi Sandwich,
>
> > I did something simliar like you want to do with the checkboxes with a
drop-
> > down list. I didn't use the searchable-behaviour-for-cakephp but used
AJAX
> > instead.
>
> > On top of my search from ctp I includ a JavaScript file:
> > <script type="text/javascript" src="/ww/js/foodselect.js"></script>
>
> > In my search form I have my dropdown:
> > echo $this->Form->input('category_id', array('onChange' =>
> > 'getFoodByCategory()', 'empty' => '---'));
>
> > foodselect.js:
>
> > function getFoodByCategory() {
> >         var category_id =
document.getElementById('UserpointCategoryId').value;
> >         // alert(category_id);
>
> >         // alert('/ww/foods/getFoodByCategory/' + category_id);
> >         $.post('/ww/foods/getFoodByCategory/' + category_id,
function(data) {

document.getElementById('UserpointFoodIdDiv').innerHTML = data;
> >         });
>
> > }
>
> > in my foods controller I have the function:
>
> >         function getFoodByCategory($category_id = null) {
> >                 $this->layout='ajax';
> >                 $this->Food->recursive = 0;
> >                 $this->Food->order = array('Food.name asc');
> >                 $param = array( 'conditions' => array('Food.category_id'
=>
> > $category_id));         $foodall = $this->Food->find('all',$param);
> >                 foreach ($foodall as $food){
> >                         $li[$food['Food']['id']] =
$food['Food']['name'].' ('.
> > $food['Food']['points'].' Punkte)';
> >                 }
>
> >                 $this->set('foods',$li);
> >         }
>
> > This together fills my another dropdown with my food selection, but you
can
> > also have a div filles with an index table, depending what you want.
>
> > the output is formatted in the file
/views/foods/get_food_by_category.ctp
> > In my case it creates the dropdown:
> > <?php
> > //debug($foods);
>
> > echo '<select name="data[Userpoint][food_id]" id="UserpointFoodId">';
>
> > foreach($foods as $key => $value){
> >         echo utf8_decode ( '<option
value="'.$key.'">'.$value.'</option>');}

> > echo '</select>';
> > ?>
>
> > In Javascript a dropdown is easier to handle than checkboxes, as you
might
> > know, but they should also work.
>
> > Hoep that example helps
>
> > Anja
>
> > Am Donnerstag, 24. Februar 2011, um 20:13:03 schrieb MeatSandwich:
>
> > > Hi all,
>
> > > I'm new to cakephp and only know a bit of php so I'm on a steep
> > > learning curve since although I've made websites using php and mysql
> > > before they were all a bit simple. I'm not looking for code here but
> > > some pointers for me so I know what to learn.
>
> > > The app I'm making will end up with lots of members and I'd like to
> > > make a search function so people can find other people easily. I've
> > > discovered searchable-behaviour-for-cakephp and hopefully that'll
> > > provide most of what I want but as another way to search rather than a
> > > text box, I'd also like to have the letters of the alphabet so a user
> > > can click and go straight to that letter.
>
> > > As well as that, members will say in their profiles what their
> > > favourite animals are, ie cats/dogs/horses etc - they'll have 20 to
> > > choose from. I'd like my search function to have checkboxes
> > > representing each animal and someone who was searching could check the
> > > dogs box and only people who like dogs will be listed, they could then
> > > also check cats box and the members who like dogs and cats will be
> > > shown. If possible I'd like the list to update automatically as each
> > > box is clicked.
>
> > > I have everything else set up and only need help with this search
> > > part. Assuming searchable-behaviour-for-cakephp does me for my text
> > > search box, I reckon the alphabet thing will be something like making
> > > a link for each letter and somehow making that link run a query,
> > > hopefully that will work.
>
> > > But the checkbox thing that updates automatically I'm not sure about.
> > > Is it ajax I need? Are there any particular methods I should be using?

Check out the new CakePHP Questions site http://ask.cakephp.org and help
others with their CakePHP related questions.