If I just had 5 minutes with a new dancer, I would teach three things: 1) We are all here to enjoy each other and the dance. Have Fun! 2) Your greatest survival tool is a firm connection through your hands to your body. Keep some tension in your arm so people can help guide you through the dance. Floppies=no connection=no help. Eye contact functions the same way. (OK, that might be slipping a spare in). 3) Swing. We do lots and lots of it, so it would be good to understand how it works. You and everyone else will enjoy the dance more if this part works well. Obviously, if I get to do a real lesson, many of the points Michael, Greg and David make are ones i would touch on. Many of the basic figure will be accessible to new dancers simply by observing the rest of the dancers. Little teaching is needed for them. CT is a bit counter-intuitive for some, but figures will come if you give the dancer and open mind and a little survival technique.
Andrea