my 2 cents worth:  Found contra dancing in 1992 at Glen Echo in Md.
They did a newcomer's session there ---   moved to No. California in 1999  -
they did them out here at all the dances.

 whenever I am doing a newomer's workshop before a dance - I always tell those
folks present - Contra dancing is EASY - you don't need lessons to contra dance
- it's Not about being perfect -- it is about having FUN - and sharing the joy
of the music and the dance with the other folks on the dance floor.

- we offer the session to give folks an opportunity to lesrn how the dsnce
flows - what progression is - how to swing comfortably and end where you need
to be safely -- what a courtesy turn is - hand holds that don't hurt --  what
gets taught is dictated in part by how many newbies show up and how early they
arrive.

  I  talk fairly quickly thru the session so they have to listen closely  -
cause when the music and dancing starts - things move rather quickly.
   I think of the 'newbie' session as a bridge  --- helps to move an individual
towards hearing/listening to a Caller -  and more importantly towards becoming
a member of a [4 person]group - accomplishing a figure together -- then moving
along to form another group -  and doing that over and over again thru the
dance.

I call in Northern California and fortunately many experienced dancers step up
and participate in the newcomers sessions and they are good about partnering
the 'newbies' so they are taken care of during those crucial first dances and
thru the evening.

Mavis L McGaugh
510-814-8118 (answering machine-leave message)